You may cycle in nature and on private roads or trails. However, be sure not to ride across house grounds, on cultivated lands or lands that could easily be damaged.

You should avoid cycling so close to a house that you disturb its occupants. They should not feel they are being intruded upon. What actually defines the grounds of a house depends on local conditions.

You must not cycle across cultivated land, including gardens, plant nurseries, park plantations, forestry plantations and similar areas. You must also keep away from agricultural land.

Cycling is permitted on private roads and tracks. Landowners are not permitted to erect signs prohibiting cycling.

Right route, right style

When cycling off road, make sure you choose a route and cycling style that will avoid causing unnecessary damage to the ground. Tyres with a coarse tread can easily damage paths and sensitive ground. This can be avoided if you choose your route with care.

A few tips:

  • Keep off unpaved paths, especially in the spring and autumn when the ground tends to be wet
  • Keep away from sensitive ground such as lichen and moss-covered soil and rock, spongy meadows, bogs and fens
  • Adapt your cycling style to suit the ground conditions

There is no general ban on cycling along jogging or hiking trails. However, you should remember that they are intended for people on foot. So you must ride cautiously and give way to any joggers or hikers you may meet.

The local municipality and the police may set rules

The local municipality or the police may issue local regulations that restrict cycling on jogging and hiking trails. Bans on cycling are indicated by a 'No Cycling' sign. You are responsible for familiarising yourself with the rules. The local municipality and the police can give you the information you need.

Special rules in national parks and nature reserves

National parks and nature reserves may have special rules for cycling. Cycling may be banned altogether or may be confined to certain trails.

Rules are generally posted in English on notice boards in the area. You can also direct any inquiries to the local municipality or county administrative board.